Why Should I Be Baptized?
– To follow the example set by Christ.
“At that time Jesus came from Nazareth and was baptized by John in the river.”
– Because Christ commanded it.
“Jesus said, ‘Go then to all people everywhere and make them my disciple, baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and then teach them to obey everything that I have commanded you.’”
– It demonstrates that I really am a Believer.
“We know that we have come to know Him, if we obey His commands.”
(1 John 2:3)
What is the Meaning of Baptism?
– It illustrates Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection.
“Christ died for our sins…He was buried…and He rose again.”
(1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
“For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism you were also raised with Christ.”
– It illustrates my new life as a Christian.
“When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person inside. The old life has passed away and a new life has begun!”
(2 Corinthians 5:17)
“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new Life.”
– Baptism doesn’t make you a Christian.
Only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it’s the outward sign of the commitment you have made in your heart
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.
Why be Baptized by Immersion?
– Because Jesus was baptized that way.
“As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.”
– Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion.
“…then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water…”
– The word “baptize” means “to dip under water.”
– It best symbolized a burial and resurrection.
(see Romans 6:1-11)